Monday, January 08, 2007

It's the little differences

In the 1994 blockbuster hit Pulp Fiction, Samuel L. Jackson's character explains to John Travolta's character about "the little differences."

Now, while he was talking about funniest things about Europe, I'm talking about the little differences of living on a Moshav - and not just in the Golan Heights, this is the same for a bunch of small Jewish communities throughout the world...

Read on and let me know if you can relate...

Besides the phone ringing off the hook, people were dropping by with warm wishes after Chave gave birth. And on Sunday when it came time to pick Chave up from the hospital, I was near my breaking point.

I wanted the house to be clean when Chave came home, I wanted to give the kids lunch before we went to the hospital, and I wanted to do all of this in the short window of time from when I picked up Hadas from gan till around 3:00 pm - when Chave would be given her release form.

So just before I left to pick her up, there was a knock on the door. It was a neighbor on the Moshav with a full homemade lunch!

Everyone knows your name

And while I might not know every one's name yet, they all seem to know mine. My house was packed on Friday night for when I made a Shalom Zachor (an Ashekenazic tradition where people gather for food and drinks on the first Friday night after a baby is born). Okay, so it's not the biggest house, but it far exceeded my expectations!

The list goes on. People are throwing themselves at our feet trying to help out in any way they can.

Someone even folded my talit (prayer shawl).

Being alone with the kids on Shabbat, I didn't get a chance to fold and put away my talit in synagogue on Shabbat. And when I went this evening, I was expecting to find my talit still draped over my seat, but to my surprise it was neatly folded and tucked away in my talit bag.

So where else do you get this kind of treatment?

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's called living in a community! Treasure it and enjoy!

Shmuel said...

We sure are... communities are great, where ever they are!

Thanks for the comment,

Shmuel

Anonymous said...

Maybe it was Richie cleaning up the Shul?

hubscubs said...

sorry i missed the holy arbis. i hear it's a segulah to have male children born in holy cities. hope everyone is feeling well.

what, no pictures of the shalom zachor?

eytan said...

where are the pictures! or has the camera not arrived yet? :)

Shmuel said...

The camera's here... although, I need help getting the camera hooked up to the computer... I'll be putting up pix from other camera's soon.

Regards,

Shmuel