The international news about the Golan took an interesting twist today, which should have every English soccer fan in smiles.
You see, Omer Golan scored the winning goal for Israel, in extra time no less, to give the blue and white a stunning 2-1 victory over Russia in a key qualifying match for the Euro 2008. The result is that Israel, although being out of contention, has given England a chance to redeem themselves if they can manage to tie or beat Croatia later on this week.
England national coach Steve McClaren said: "I would like to pay tribute to Israel for the professional way they went about their job. They showed what a proud nation they are and they deserve a lot of praise for their efforts."
I personally love the titles coming out of today’s Google News Search on the Golan:
- Golan happy to help (Sky Sports)
- Media hail 'King of England' Golan for Israel win (ESPN Soccernet)
- GOLDEN GOLAN (People.co.uk)
- Golan stuns Russia (The FA.com)
- Golan, Israel stun Russia to keep England's hopes alive (Sports Network)
- Israel's Golan goal lifts England to unimagined heights (Sportingo)
And of course this one just shows you how popular the English take their football: